Sunday, June 28, 2009

Changes- some are welcome, some are not!

The following quote from President Monson's General Conference address given last October, has been at the forefront of my mind recently:

"I begin by mentioning one of the most inevitable aspects of our lives here upon the earth, and that is change. At one time or another we’ve all heard some form of the familiar adage: 'Nothing is as constant as change.'

Throughout our lives, we must deal with change. Some changes are welcome; some are not. There are changes in our lives which are sudden, such as the unexpected passing of a loved one, an unforeseen illness, the loss of a possession we treasure. But most of the changes take place subtly and slowly." (General Conference, Oct. 2008, Sunday Morning)

Bill and I are about to make a HUGE life change- one that I'm not fully prepared for. But as President Monson said, "Throughout our loves, we must deal with change." Bill has accepted a new job in Houston, TX. He will be moving in 2 weeks, while the girls and I will stay here in Las Vegas until we tie up a few loose ends (place to live, car to drive, etc.). And then we will pack up & move 1400 miles away.

After much fasting, prayer, discussions & list making, we feel that this is the best thing for our little family. We were not seeking a change in vocation or location, it came to us. And we feel blessed to have the opportunity! Bill will be working for a solid company where he will contribute his sales & management experience, Spanish speaking skills and ability to work hard. He is switching industries completely- goodbye construction & hello oil!

I've slowly been wrapping my head around the enormity of this change. (We finalized our decision on Tuesday & left town on Wednesday for the beach- a great place to allow something this life changing to soak in!) There are moments when reality hits & I just burst into tears thinking of all that we'll be leaving behind. It breaks my heart to think of my girls saying goodbye to their friends. And I count myself as one of the luckiest women in the world to be surrounded by such a wonderful support system & network of friends! This ward truely has become our family! No more weekend road trips to visit family in Utah or California. No more mountains = no more hiking. No more family visiting for BYU football games or weekend getaways. No more comfort zone.

On the upside- I don't have to leave in 2 weeks!! And we're moving to a much better school system. And we'll have a grandma & grandpa about 30 minutes away. And Houston is a family-friendly city. And there are 2 major airports there! And we have technology to help us stay in touch with loved ones from afar; blogs, email, and cell phones- HOORAY! And the most important thing of all is that WE HAVE EACH OTHER! I'm lucky to be in love with my best friend!

I also need to note a few tender mercies. I called my good friend Cindy after we made our decision- I needed a vote of confidence & encouragement from someone who has lived far from home. She was a great source of comfort but the tender mercy came a few days later when she remembered that her sister's friend lives in Houston. I contacted her & she lives in the exact area where we are hoping to settle. To quote this girl, "I love, love, love our ward!" Somehow, that was just what I needed to hear that day! I'm hoping to glean from her insight as a local as we begin a serious house hunt.

And then there is my walking buddy. We've had many conversations about moving & starting over & humility & finances & strengthening our little families & long distance relationships with extended family- all conversations were a few days apart & were during a crucial discussion phase. She sure didn't know it, but all of this was been a direct answer to my prayers to bring me peace!

We've made just one of the million decisions that we'll need to make in the next few months:

*A new car. We are buying a mini-van. And it's a good time to buy because prices are low.

So although this is an unexpected change and it will be difficult, it is welcome and we're ready for the challenge!

21 comments:

Emily B said...

I know it is 10:30, but I still have to comment. OH MY GOSH! YOU ARE MOVING TO TEXAS! I'm glad that you guys are happy with your decision, but I'm not. Now I really wish we would have spent some more money on another vacation. I thought we might get another opportunity. If your mind is made up at least I can keep track of you guys through your blog. It will be nice to be by grandparents and in a new vocation that is more stable than construction in Las Vegas. Please let me help you get ready to go. I know how crappy it is to move, and you have a newborn. I've never moved with a baby before, and I'm sure it's even worse than moving without one. I can babysit every day, or pack, or sell things - whatever you need me to do. I need to get my fill of the Carruths before you guys leave.

Eisha said...

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what you can buy (housing wise) in TX.

laura said...

Wow! That's big. Huge. And exciting too. It was wonderful to read all the thoughts and feelings you've had.

I have two good friends in the Houston area. I'll find out exactly where they live and let you know!

Jane said...

Oh Emilee! I'm so sad you will be leaving our ward. It won't be the same without you guys! So sad... But I am excited for you guys, and this change in your life. I'm sure that it will bring you great blessings in life. It will be fun to keep up with what's going on with you guys on your blog. You will be sorely missed, though.

Mel said...

WOW!!!! I wish you the best of luck with packing and settling and everything. With a new baby too! It is such an adventure to move with little ones, but if anything, it just brings you closer together.

Jon and Ashley said...

I know some friends who live in Houston and you guys will love it. I know how hard it is to leave, but things always have a way of turning out for the best. Good luck with everything.

Catherine Noorda said...

congrats on such a huge decision. everyone who lives in texas loves it. what a blessing that at least you'll have bill's awesome parents. we'd love to have your family over to dinner before you go. i'll call you.

Samye said...

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE Texas~!! We have family in Houston too and love visiting them... I will have to call you later today to see what I can do to help!! Congrats!! This is so exciting!!!!!

Ashlee said...

Emilee,

Your family will be missed, for sure! But, I'm excited for you to have this new adventure with your family. And grandparents so close, how nice will that be!! Good luck, PLEASE let me know what I can do to help!

Brooke said...

Em, best of luck on your upcoming move and all the change that comes with it. My sister in law lives in Katy and they absolutely LOVE it there too. Let me know if that's near where you guys are thinking of moving and I'll get you in touch with her. They have been trying to get family out to Houston for many years now.

Your girls are so great and you are such a sweet and friendly person, I'm sure you will all benefit a lot from this change. AND - you'll be closer to the beach!

Good luck with the move. I'm looking forward to hearing more in your upcoming blog posts :)

janet said...

you have NO IDEA how much I loved our early morning walks! I am going to miss you and your positive attitude. Funny that I told Aaron a couple of months ago that I think you might be moving soon-- I don't know why... but I am SO SAD to know it's actually happening.

I love what you had to say about change, though. It's so good for us. I think it will really bring your family closer together.. I know every time we've moved, it's made me love my husband even more-- because that's all you really need.

I am sure your parents and sisters will miss living in driving distance, but we ARE lucky to have planes, blogs, emails, etc. And it's good to move NOW before your girls are settled in school and all. Oh, I am so bummed and my boys will really miss their piano teacher, but we wish you and your family the BEST of luck!!

So... we only have 2 1/2 weeks left-- I will take any early mornings with you I can get. Are you up for it?

Hannah said...

Hey, we'll be in Dallas by January, so we won't be too far apart then! Good luck getting everything ready to move. I know it's no fun(as I sit surounded by boxes...)

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I have a hard time with change too, but know how much we grow through change. If there is anyone that can do this it is you! You always have such a positive outlook on life. Good luck with everything and keep in touch!

Erica said...

That is a big, exciting change! Just give yourself some time to get used to things, and I'm sure you will grow to love your new area as much as you love where you live now. Hugs!

Alli Waldron said...

yeah fellow texans! chad and i are still adjusting to being away from the familiarity we had in vegas, but we love it. i can already tell how much closer it has brought us together. it's beautiful here, a little muggy (a lot muggy actually) but it is beautiful.

if you ever find yourself in dallas definitely we'll need to get together. we'll call you up if we venture to houston.

good luck with everything!

Brooke said...

I've been waiting for this announcement--Good luck with everything!!!! You guys will be successful wherever you go, and those Houston-ites are lucky to have you. :) My cousin lives in Houston and loves it, I'll have to find out where she lives. Love ya! :)

Alisha said...

Em-

I don't know why I decided to check your blog tonight but I am so glad I did. How exciting and scary to be moving! It seems that everyone knows someone in TX and they all say the same thing - it is awesome and they love it. I wish you the best of luck.

vickersfam said...

We are, of course, so sad to lose you guys! But the future is bright and will bring many great things for you and your family, I'm sure.
Not to invite myself, but I'd love to go on some of those early-morning walks with you and Janet before you go, if you'll still be venturing out with everything else going on! I'd love to spend a little more time with you before you go!
And, I just realized, we're losing not only a caring, loving, outgoing sister in our ward, but a fellow pianist...and organist! I have a feeling your change is going to bring change in me. Organ time is creeping upon me, I think!
Call me when you start packing so I can help you out!

Tristen said...

Wow, Em! What a huge change! I know you guys will do great, these transitions are so hard but also so wonderful. Living close to family is a major perk, but so is being on your own as a smaller family unit. Plus in no time it will be simple for you to fly with all three girls! I'm excited for you guys, good luck with all of the details, let us know how Bill likes his job!

lrbodine said...

Wow - that is a huge change! But my mom always quoted to me that "change is good". I have lots of friends that have relocated to Texas and I rarely hear any negative. In fact - it makes me want to live there! Good luck!

Tim and Cindy Larsen said...

Morning Emi! Hang in there! and we are excited for you...just don't think of it as the end...just another step to be where you want to be...and if it is the end.....then lets see how close we can get by each other! I'll be calling you soon about next week!
xoxo lou