Thank goodness for the last minute! I try to be a planner & organizer but for some reason there are just some things that I do better at the last minute- I guess I work well under pressure. Remember this post from over a week ago? I've been meaning to write down my own story of being served since then. And now here it is just hours before the deadline & I'm finally getting to it. Sigh.
My friend Janet has one of those blogs that attracts readers from across the globe b/c she's witty & honest, writes about ANYTHING on her mind, is always up for a party, but her first love is her family. She keeps me laughing & crying as she shares her life on her blog. I also love Janet b/c we were exercise buddies in Las Vegas. There are MANY mornings that she was my reason to get out of bed- 6 a.m. is a fine time to walk & solve the world's problems as you enjoy a desert sunrise.
I've appreciated having a reason to pause & reflect on ways that I've been a recipient of service. I think it's much harder to be the benefactor of service than the giver. As Christians we know we should give, but we must also receive so that others have an opportunity to serve.
I've shared before that this move to Texas was rough for me. The first month or so was a real struggle. I was lonely, far from my family, without TV or Internet, it rained almost daily so I felt trapped, I missed the sunshine & the pool, felt awkward at the park with the new sisters in my ward, needed a haircut but didn't think anyone could replace Lisa (they still can't), my house smelled funny & had only white walls. When my kids asked for their old friends I had to choke back tears before answering that we were going to make new friends... soon. I was having a real pity party & was getting good at feeling sorry for myself. Sometimes I would hang up after talking to my mom or sister or a friend & just cry. I tried to put on a happy face & be optimistic because I KNEW it was what I was supposed to be doing, but that didn't mean it's what I wanted to be doing (living here, that is). Then one day I received a package in the mail from my sister in law. It was about a week before my birthday so I figured she was extra organized. My girls were eagerly helping me unload the stuffed envelope; nice note cards, fingernail polish, a new pen, a Halloween hot pad, & some fancy napkins. I smiled because this was such a fun compilation of gifts. Then I read the note as tears streamed down my face. It said, "I've been thinking about you a lot in Houston (with no computer) and have been worried about how you're doing. So I decided to send you a care package of things I like 'just because'. Hope you like them too." She went on to explain why she liked each item and concluded with a reassuring message. "Life will get easier and you will adjust soon. I love you and am keeping you in my prayers." It was as if someone had reached out and put their arms around me that afternoon. I felt lifted up & strengthened. I knew deep down she was right. It was about that time that things did start to get better. I felt more comfortable at church, I noticed the sunshine more, we became friends with our neighbors, we got our computer fixed, and I cherished every minute I had with my little girls. I am truly grateful for my sister in law who gave me a little extra nudge to get up when I was feeling down.
8 comments:
Love it, Em! The best thing about our friendship is that it doesn't matter how far away we live from each other... we can still remain close. There have been a hundred mornings where I wished you still lived down the street from me, but amazingly, there have been other times when I've felt alone and sat at the computer to find an email from you. You are such a beautiful, uplifting person.
I love your story. A package of goodies is awesome, but a simple note saying, "I'm thinking of you... I'm worried about you" can be priceless. Thank you for sharing!
Love stories of answered prayers and people following inspiration! Change is always hard - especially moving. But amazing how life always work out and brings blessings that you can't plan on!
What a thoughtful sister-in-law you have! I'm glad she helped ease your transition. Thanks for sharing your story. It makes me realize I could be doing so much for others.
Emily, thank you for sharing (and for making me cry right before church.)
I love this story, Emilee. I'm sorry things were so rough for you when you first moved to Texas. My kids and I were missing you guys so much after you left, and I really should've let you know. Rebecca still asks me when we are moving to Texas to live by Madisen. I think she just asked me again about two weeks ago actually. I'm happy your sister-in-law was in tune, and helped brighten things for you down there.
That story sounds so familiar to me and I'm glad I got to read it because I would have never known you really felt that way. I have been so amazed watching how busy and happy you have been and wondered a little why I can't buck up and be so happy myself.
What a neat Sister-in-law! Those kinds of family members/friends are priceless! You're right that it's hard to be the one served, but also it feels so nice sometimes, doesn't it? :)
I followed your link and can see why that friend was/is so special to you. She's now helped me as well! :)
Great story Em! I know what you mean about missing friends (I still miss you even though it's been years) and it feels great to be reminded that someone cares. I enjoy reading your blog - you are so great at updating it so frequently - and hope things continue to go well for you and your family in Texas!
What a great sister-in-law and friend. It was an inspiring story to nudge me to do better.
Post a Comment