Friday, April 23, 2010

Watch Your Step

On Wednesday night while Bill was weed whacking our backyard he discovered a snake. It was under the lawn mover, by the house and near the BBQ grill. The girls had been playing in the backyard on the swings all afternoon. Including Brooklyn, who just crawls wherever she pleases. I felt relieved they hadn't spotted it earlier because I would've panicked if I was home alone when it was discovered.

He caught it in a bucket, but he and our neighbor couldn't decide if it was poisonous or not. The darn thing was real skiddish and kept trying to strike while shaking his tail all over. So they ended up decapitating it- phew. And trashing it. (Later that evening Madisen was concerned about the trash men who would be taking out our trash today. What would they think if they saw a dead snake in our trash can. She thought they'd be thankful it was dead .)

The girls and I did a little research and found that it was just a Texas Rat Snake. Based on what we read, it was a juvenile.

TEXAS RAT SNAKE, Elaphe obsoleta lindheimerii
NON-VENOMOUS
The adults are from 4 to 6 feet long, but I have actually caught one near Zilker Park that was 7'1" long!
This is the most common large snake in the Austin area. The snake is often incorrectly called a 'chicken snake', probably became of it's fondness for hen's eggs. It is often misidentified for several reasons. This snake will vibrate its tail, and depending on what the tail is hitting against may make a sound that will make you think that you are dealing with a Rattlesnake, even though they have no rattle! While the juveniles are colored with brown blotches on a gray background, the adult's dark gray to black blotches will be on a red, orange, yellow, or even white background, giving the snake a wide range of possible color combinations. The belly is plain with no patterning.These snakes will eat any kind of rodent, birds, and bird eggs. They are excellent climbers, and will go into attics and under homes in search of prey. These snakes are very aggressive when cornered or captured. But hey, if your main diet consisted of rats, you'd probably have an attitude problem, too. These snakes are constrictors, but not venomous. If you don't have any food for them around your house, they will tend to stay away.


**As a side note, I must mention that a few weeks ago we found another (much smaller & certainly harmless) snake in our garage. We were going somewhere as a family & Bill noticed it next to the deep freeze. YIKES! It was writhing in pain b/c the SUPER-STRONG bug spray we used a week earlier. Again, so thankful that Bill was home to dispose of it. I'm not sure I will survive this bug/rodent/reptile infested area this summer!!

14 comments:

Ashlee said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! I can't belive you have these big snakes in your BACKYARD!! I would have freaked out too if I found this! I'm just glad your baby didn't find him first!! Ahhhh.....I have the chills just looking at it!!! Crazy!

Diane Jaggi said...

I do hate snakes! The only bad thing now is you will be always looking for more!

Alli Waldron said...

Holy cow! I would be freaking out. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even want to go outside. At times like this aren't you glad you have a husband?

Tim and Cindy Larsen said...

OUr first summer in omaha there were three snakes, all found in our basement........ I only had to see the skin but I always had a 2 by 4 near by and a pillow case..... then I could smash it or catch it......... never had to though........... freaky and what about free play now out back???

Jilly Bean said...

Yikes!

Emily B said...

Yikes is right! That's a real snake! Not the little skinny worm looking ones. I'm glad Bill was there to get rid of it.

Samye said...

We grew up saying "the only good snake, is a dead snake." Good luck....we NEVER got used to snakes (not to scare you). But MOST all we ever found were non-venom snakes, if anything invest in a nice flat head shovel!!

lrbodine said...

Yikes! I wouldn't be happy with a snake like that near my house. I would have thought it was a rattlesnake. Hopefully you don't see too many of those!

vickersfam said...

I've never been so grateful to 'just' have to deal with cockroaches and crickets. Stinks for you! I was first thinking it was a normal/small snake, like the one in your garage. When I saw that picture and description, though, I was definitely scared for your girls!

This reminded me, too, of the scene in 'These is My Words', when there was a flood (I think?) and the little girl was on the porch about to be attacked by a snake. The mom bravely killed it. I'm not sure I could be that courageous.

Lesley said...

Poisonous or not, that is one scary thing to come across in your backyard!

Scott has killed many a snake with his edger (yuck, right?) but apparently only the lawn equipment rouses them because in all my hours in the yard with the boys, we have never seen one.

Thank goodness Bill was home. What would you have done? Ahh! I agree with Madison- I bet garbage men see frightening things!

Hibbard Family said...

I agree - thankfully it was Bill who found and caught it. Snakes are scary!

p.s. I have a picture on my fridge from Sarah's 30th bday - we had such a great time - miss you!!

Ben & Mona said...

We saw the same kind smashed in the park parking lot by our house. Freaked me out then. I'm terrified of snakes!

simple mom/wife said...

Umm, ya. After you told me that I've been on the look out in our backyard. The picture makes me more scared; the definition a little less. Yikes!

Tim and Cindy Larsen said...

you need a new post, this one freaks me out every time :)