This move has been harder for me than I anticipated. I know it was the right decision for our family & for Bill's career. But oh, how I long for the luxury of familiarity! Sometimes when I read the blogs of my Vegas friends I am homesick for Las Vegas. I was comfortable there. I felt at peace knowing I was only a 7 hour drive from my family. I loved our home. We had made it ours- from the paint to the closets to the backyard! I miss the fact that the sun was almost always shining (but I don't miss the wind). I had the privilege of making friends with many upstanding women who cherished their roles as mothers but also had other talents and interests. And sometimes when I read the blogs of my Utah family and friends I am homesick for the crisp, clean, cool mountain air of the Wasatch front. Although I haven't lived there for over 5 years, it will always be home to me!
And here I am in Texas. Somewhere I never imagined I would be. We have felt a warm welcome from our neighbors & ward members, but it takes time to really feel like you belong somewhere. It takes time to find those people you can count on in a pinch. Those women who become your family away from family. I have secretly been a little discouraged that it didn't just happen over night. This has resulted in a time of introspection & self-evaluation. A few weeks ago I was called to serve on the Welcome Committee in our ward and today, Sunday, Oct. 11, I was set apart. The blessing I received was a tender mercy and a direct answer to my prayers! I was told to plant my roots here, get to know & love the area. I was encouraged to reach out to the members of my ward, old and new. To share my talents with them and become acquainted with their talents, as this will serve me well now & in future callings. Among other things I was encouraged to continue to be the woman my family needs me to be. They will be blessed as I serve. I fought back tears because the Lord knew what I needed to hear today. He reminded me that I know we made the right move.
I have had a lot of quality time with just my girls and it has been wonderful! They are getting along better with each other, they are playing more independently and I feel like our home is happier. I can say that this is a direct result of the fact that we are spending more quality time together as a family. Bill and I have had the chance to re-establish our priorities and discuss things that are really important. It's been a new beginning for us! And although we don't have all of the answers, we are on a beautiful path. My journey here is not over, it has merely begun!
No comments:
Post a Comment