Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Year, New Decade, New Theme

Last year I chose a word to be my theme for the year, but it seems that I forgot about it after a month. (Funny, because I think the word was REMEMBER.) Or could it be that 18 days into the new year we got news that changed our lives. You see, it was on January 18 that we were notified of an opportunity to move to Texas. And then we lived for months of uncertainty of when that would come to pass. It was a year of CHANGE for the Carruth family. We welcomed our 3rd daughter, sold our first home, said goodbye to our family and friends on the west coast, bought a mini-van, went back to the world of renting, and now find ourselves in the friendly south.

As 2009 drew to a close, I knew I wanted to start 2010 on the right foot and try again. You see, I'm a girl that is no stranger to change but for some reason this past year was A LOT for me! In October I wrote about my journey here, but I never posted it. I have done so now, but it is dated in October for record-keeping purposes. I digress.

As I read the Christmas story there were 2 verses in Luke 2 that stood out to me. Luke 2:19 "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." And Luke 2:51 "...but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart." I really started to think about Mary and what an incredibly righteous, faithful, and humble woman she was. The word heart is used twice. Why? I asked myself. Because her heart was pure and it is where she kept things close that were sacred to her. What did she do with these sacred experiences? She pondered them.

So my theme word for 2010 is Ponder. My goal is to: Ponder these things in my heart. It's easy for me to get caught up in the busy-ness of life and forget to stop to ponder and listen to the Lord. This year, I want to be sure to listen to and then ponder on the things I have been given. And ponder on how to improve upon them. A tender mercy for me was that a couple of days after I made my goal, a good friend posted her 2010 resolution, which I felt went hand in hand with mine. In order to ponder, I must first pray.

3 comments:

janet said...

It was last January that we were walking in the "cold" Vegas weather... and I knew something was going to change for you and I REALLY didn't want you to move!! I am still so sad you did, but I love that we can still be in touch and be motivated by each other over the internet. I love your theme for 2010. I am sure you will find yourself more settled after all that CHANGE! Love you Emilee! I am so glad you we were neighbors, even if it was for a short time.

PS. I was out this morning walking alone. As the sun came up I thought of you. It sucks being up early without anyone to talk to-- but at least I can get my prayers in before the crazy day begins...

Lesley said...

What a beautiful post! I love your theme and the scripture behind it.

Brooke said...

I love it, Em!!! Such a great word to focus on. Which brings me to MY word for the year (I think): FOCUS. :) Mine sort of came to me through scripture too, I want to focus with an "eye of faith" and prioritize my life. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts. xoxoxo