Sunday, January 10, 2010

2 Day Celebration

Since Bill's birthday fell on a Sunday this year AND it was a milestone birthday, we decided to celebrate on Saturday as well. He's been wanting to visit the Houston Museum of Natural Science and this was the perfect opportunity.
{Of course we loved the dinosaur exhibit!}

After we looked at the African animal exhibit we found ourselves in the hall of gems. As we entered I told the girls to admire every stone & then pick their favorite where I would take their picture. The girls' true colors came shining through here: Caitlyn kept asking when we could go see more animals and Madisen asked if she could have 3 favorites! I agreed & then she invited Caitlyn to be in the other 2 pictures with her. SO SWEET!

We sat for a break after the gems and made a few silly faces for the camera. Do you see a common theme with our tongues sticking out?
We worked up an appetite at the Museum so we headed to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. I knew (thanks to some inside info. from Cindy) how they celebrate birthdays, so I suggested this restaurant. Bill strongly considered a few other options, and I did my best not to sway the vote. Lucky for me, he took my bait! He was M-O-R-T-I-F-I-E-D when they asked him to sit on the saddle. He mumbled some threat to me under his breath as he timidly met their request. I was ALL SMILES to know that I was able to pull off one (small) surprise for the weekend! The topic of our dinner conversation was "30 Things Bill Loves About His Life". Madisen got a kick out of helping me count to 30 with our fingers.


Sunday Morning we let the birthday boy sleep late (since he was up late working on his talk!) while we put the final preparations on the crown (in a home full of princesses, there is a definite need for a king!), hung a few streamers & worked on breakfast.
{Daddy's Girls}

The girls and I made a jar for Bill that included 30 reasons we love him. He was equally delighted and surprised with this gift. He was also pleased that the girls had thoughtfully included meaningful reasons they love him. One from Caitlyn was; "You take us on skateboard rides."
{Madisen: "You play tickle torture with us."}

After church we set out to decorate the cake. Carrot cake needs sprinkles, don't you think?

{Professional candle placers}

At church we discovered that the father of a new family in our ward shared the same birthday with Bill, so we invited them for a spontaneous dinner/cake celebration.

{The candles were so hard to light that they had to blow at the same time.}

9 comments:

Dave and Terry said...

Wish I had been there for the party. It looks like you all had fun.

Lesley said...

I am so glad we finally found each other out in the bloggosphere! It will be a nice way to keep up to date with your family in between our late night chats in the car. :)

You write some hilarious stuff (musical beds!) and your girls are as adorable as can be. It is so fun to get some more insight into your girls personalities on here -- I am pretty sure I would love hanging out and tea partying with you! I will just have to find some Fancy Nancy pearls first...

Brooke said...

Happy belated birthday to Bill! (talk about alliteration!)

He must feel pretty lucky to have you for a wifey, you always do such cute things. :)

Tim and Cindy Larsen said...

So glad it all worked emi! And LOVE bill on the saddle.....he will always remember his 30th.......maybe a little traumatized..... but it's always fun to pull of a surprise!
xoxo me

Hibbard Family said...

What a great 30th birthday. I can't believe you got him up on that bull - what a trooper!

janet said...

Fun to celebrate the big 30 in the same year! Happy Birthday to Bill.

PS. The bull sounds awesome! Kate and I were just looking into how much it would cost to rent a bull for a ward party... ($800 per hour, if you were wondering..)

vickersfam said...

Happy birthday to Bill! That's a great surprise you were able to pull off! Sounds like a full family fun weekend.

Ashlee said...

What a FUN birthday!!! The museum looks like so much fun and I love that you all wrote him 30 things that you love about the birthday boy!!! You ARE such a fun, creative mom and wife! We miss seeing you guys around! It looks like you are enjoying Texas!

Jeremy and Taren said...

Happy Birthday to the hubby.
So, I laughed at your comment about Texas cause that is where we are moving. LOL!!! Dallas/Fort Worth area. Somehow we are meant to be there because this is the 3rd time Texas has come up in our lives. Jeremy starts a new job in February. Thanks for thinking of us. If you are ever in that area we should definitely get together.