Friday, February 29, 2008

A Surprise in the Mailbox

This afternoon when I went to get the mail I opened the box to find just some grocery ad's and our monthly Ensign & Friend subscriptions. When I opened the plastic, my surprise was nestled between the two afore mentioned magazines. There was 'A supplement to the Ensign', In Memoriam: President Gordon B. Hinckley. I feel so blessed to have this pkg. of love! It includes a time line with highlights from his life, milestones from his service as our Prophet, tributes to him from leaders throughout the world, and my favorite part; the entire funeral in written form. I read the talk given by his daughter, Virgina Pearce, while laying by Madisen for nap time. This is my favorite quote from her talk.

"Following the death of Mother, his grief was almost overwhelming. Characteristically, he acknowledged it- felt it, wept, and mourned deeply. He went to the Lord with his tears, thus allowing the loss to carve out an even deeper place in his heart for compassion and dig an even deeper well of faith and trust in God. Then, with that increase in compassion and faith, he put on his shoes and went back to work- in every sense of the word." (bold words added by me)

To me this is such a clear example of what a tender and stalwart man he was. He was an example of someone who tried each day to be a little better than he was the day before. What an incredible example he was!!!

2 comments:

Jon and Ashley said...

I was also so happy when I saw that insert. It was so beautiful and made me cry. He is definetly going to be missed by everyone.

Katie said...

Thanks for posting that. We need to renew our Ensign subscription. Oops!