However, I've tried a few new recipes this week that I believe are worthy of sharing. We're trying to increase the variety of grains we are eating and to have a few more meatless meals.
Granola
I got this from Bill's aunt. She made it at the ranch and we all devoured it!
Column #1
7 cups rolled oats
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup non-fat dried milk (don't leave this out! it helps it stick together)
1 cup sliced almonds (I pulsed mine in the Cuisinart to disguise them)
1 cup raisins (I used Craisins)
I also added 1 c. dry Quinoa and 1/3 c. freshly milled flax seed
Column #2
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond flavor (optional- but delicious!)
Mix column 1 ingredients in a large bowl. Liquefy column 2 ingredients in a blender. Mix column 1 and 2 together thoroughly. Divide mixture between two cookie sheets. Bake at 250 for 45 minutes stirring at 15 minute intervals. Mixture will be crisp when it cools. When crisp, store in plastic container. You can break it in pieces and it's a great snack for the kids! I also love it sprinkled over some yogurt or fruit.
Lentil & Barley Soup
(from my friend Sara- a woman of many talents, especially in the kitchen)
1 c. lentils
1 c. barley
1 can (16 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 c. onion, chopped
10 c. chicken or beef broth
2 T. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. garlic powder
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if soup becomes too thick. Freezes well.
*Our review: DELECTABLE! The kids (with the exception of Brooklyn who stuck her tongue out at me and refused to even try a bite) enjoyed it. Bill and I loved it! Bonus: it's cheap to make & satisfying, rotates some food storage, and is a refreshing change from soups made with beans.
And lastly, I happened on this list of recipes complied by Real Simple. The title 50 Best Heart-Healthy Recipes. I was looking for a new way to cook salmon and found this recipe to be a winner. I plan to try a few more of those recipes soon because they look so appetizing.
Enjoy!
Lentil & Barley Soup
(from my friend Sara- a woman of many talents, especially in the kitchen)
1 c. lentils
1 c. barley
1 can (16 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 c. onion, chopped
10 c. chicken or beef broth
2 T. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. garlic powder
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if soup becomes too thick. Freezes well.
*Our review: DELECTABLE! The kids (with the exception of Brooklyn who stuck her tongue out at me and refused to even try a bite) enjoyed it. Bill and I loved it! Bonus: it's cheap to make & satisfying, rotates some food storage, and is a refreshing change from soups made with beans.
And lastly, I happened on this list of recipes complied by Real Simple. The title 50 Best Heart-Healthy Recipes. I was looking for a new way to cook salmon and found this recipe to be a winner. I plan to try a few more of those recipes soon because they look so appetizing.
Enjoy!
2 comments:
Mmmm...I've printed them and am so excited to try them!
Making the lentil soup tonight, with the peasant bread you posted a few years ago! Will be thinking about you at dinnertime!
Post a Comment