Tuesday, April 21, 2009

To Induce or Not Induce....

That has been the big question on my mind for about 2 weeks now. There are quite a few details here, but I wanted to record my thought processes & can't wait to see what the future has for the entrance of girl #3 into our family.

**Background info: I went into labor with Madisen on her due date & she was born the next day. Caitlyn was induced 3 days early b/c I was strep B positive & my doctor was going out of town for Thanksgiving. So basically I'm one of those people that has textbook 40 week pregnancies.
**More background info: My due date is APRIL 30. However, the very first ultrasound that my doctor did at 13 weeks said I was due April 24. And the 20 week ultrasound I had said that I was due on April 27. When I asked the doctor if she was going to change my due date she said it wasn't necessary b/c the days were so close.

That being said, I've considered the following information when deciding whether or not to induce.

*First I had to know whether or not I was Strep B positive- and I wasn't. So that took away the need to induce for medical necessity of getting antibiotics.
*Then last Thursday at my weekly appointment, my doctor offered to strip my membranes b/c she was on call last weekend. I was only 38 weeks, still feeling great, only dilated to a 1 and having a piano recital so I wasn't interested in having the baby last weekend. Then she told me that she'd schedule an induction for me this Thursday in case I decided to be induced this week- at 39 weeks.
*I'm not feeling the need to rush nature. I haven't had anything more than some minor back pains. However, if I had progressed I was going to have her induce me since she's not on call this weekend and won't come in for the delivery. Sadly when I called to change my appointment to Wednesday the schedule was full. That made my decision to keep my regular appointment on Thursday afternoon easy. So I asked if she could schedule an induction for Friday- in case I was progressing & to avoid the weekend issue. But for some reason she doesn't do inductions on Friday, so the final decision is........

We are going to sit back and wait for this baby to come on her own! Almost.... I will schedule an induction for next Thursday, April 30 if she hasn't come on her own by then because my doctor is going out of town on May 1 for 10 days!

~Oh, and we still don't have a name so this gives us a few more days to deliberate.

11 comments:

allison nadauld said...

My sister-in-law is strep B positive. She prefers being induced so she can get some of the antibiotics in before the baby's arrival. Good luck with whatever you decide. The labor is always the difficult part. I'm hoping for April 28th, that's Mary's b-day.

Unknown said...

Ugh! Such a tough decision. The good news is: she'll be here soon no matter what! I can't wait to hear the news and to find out what you name her. Good luck in labor and delivery!

Ashley and Brady Brown said...

I was at the family birthday party on Sunday and I was informed that you were being induced on Thursday so I was getting on to wish you good luck! Obviously things change quickly! I am sure you know what you are doing and I am glad you are still feeling good. We still wish you good luck, just a few days down the road! We love you and miss you!

Alli Waldron said...

It really is such a hard decision. When I had Vance the doctors did an amnio and told everything looked good so we should schedule the c-section even though I was only 36 weeks. Well to make a long story short, he wasn't ready and he ended up in the NICU for 10 days. In the future, I am not going to let them convince me to have my baby until at least 38 weeks!

Hannah said...

Good luck! I hope she comes soon for you!

Julie said...

Good luck, Em! I can't believe its come so quickly. I'm glad your feeling okay and that everything looks good. She'll come when she's ready. I'm so excited for you. I'll be thinking about you! Love ya!

Brooke said...

Wow, either way you don't have much time left and that is exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing your new little one!

Jamie said...

I never had that problem!! Mine decided to come way too early! But good luck. I hope that all will be well. As for a name, Jamie is nice!

Love ya
Jamie

ashley said...

Emily-hey. I induced with my last two and now regret it. I wish I had let them come when they come. There is something about just going into labor and not knowing when it will be. It's nice to know when to plan for sitters and stuff but really, who isn't going to take your kids when you are in labor. I would just let the baby come when the baby wants to come.

angie said...

I am so excited to see your cute new baby girl! Good luck w/ everything. I am sure I will be checking daily to see if there are any pics. :)

lrbodine said...

Good luck! I am hoping to be induced again this time around but we'll see how things go. I can't wait to see your new arrival!