Sunday, September 23, 2007

For Posterity- Madisen's shiner

{The Shiner}

I took these pictures of Madisen on Wednesday night & I'm finally brave enough to post them. I don't even think they do justice to what she looks like. She took a nasty fall and a hard hit to her head last week. As we were getting ready to leave our beach vacation, she somehow fell on the stairs and hit her head (I'm still not sure what she hit her head on). I didn't notice the goose egg until Sunday when I was taking her to nursery. I was so alarmed by it that I took her to Bill. She was fine so we sent her to nursery. On Wednesday evening when the area around her eyes started turning purple I panicked & sent Bill to the ER with her. The ER doctor went through the routine questions: did she vomit, were her pupils dilated, did she have a loss in appetite, was she lethargic, was her behavior abnormal. When Bill answered no to ALL of them the doctor asked why we had brought her in. Bill explained that his wife was concerned about the purple around her eyes. He said that it is completely normal as the bruise starts to heal, the blood has to flow somewhere so gravity takes it down. So this is what they call a shiner! It's hard to believe that my 'girly girl' has such a crazy wound!

5 comments:

Julie said...

That is quite the shiner. We have gotten pretty used to that sight with Aidan...I know that panic feeling that sends you to the ER, glad everything is okay!

Brooke said...

Awwwww! We've been pretty lucky, I don't think my kids have gotten black eyes...YET. What a story!

angie said...

OUCH!!! She at least is smiling in the second pic :) I would've done the same thing you did--better safe than sorry right?

brittany doll said...

Nice shiner! I guess girls get them too. Caden has had a few. Caden cut his ear the other night, because he was messing around in the bathtub the other night. I was doing laundry when it happened. I guess we always need to keep a close eye on the kiddos!

Unknown said...

Hey, someone stole my name! It's so sad to see kids get hurt like that...and it's way worse when it's your kid! Sorry about mess up on my blog. I accidentally changed the font color to the same as the background. Genius!
Angie...Castle