Yikes! It's really happening... my1st baby is leaving me for FULL-DAY kindergarten, in 36 short hours. I'm still trying to get over the hours... so I'll vent just this once... Who, might I ask, decided that it was a good idea for elementary students to start school at 7:45 a.m.? Do you know what time our bus pick-up will be? I'll tell you... 6:58! Gulp. Madisen. Fed. Teeth brushed. Clothed. Lunch packed. Smiling. And on the sidewalk at 6:55. We are all in for a bit of a schedule adjustment around here. Bedtime will be promptly at 7:00 p.m. Which means early dinner, no more evening bike rides with the neighbors, etc., etc., etc. Sigh. Growing up can be tough.
So we kept it pretty low key this weekend and just hung together.
*Yesterday we met the teacher and toured the school. More on the teacher later, but WOW what a school! The library/computer lab made us stop in our tracks. It was the latest and greatest technology. The sinks for the bathrooms are in the hall... I'm sure to minimize bathroom bullies, or something. The structure & organization of the administration puts my mind at ease. The staff was friendly and personable. There will be PE every day plus rotating music, art x2, computers, and library which will be a welcome relief to a young child. Mind you, this doesn't make sending my oldest daughter to off any easier, but I know she'll be learning important things.
And I think she's excited. When we were walking around the school, she was between Bill and I holding our hands, she looked up at me and said, so matter of factly, "I'm going to be here all by myself. Without you." I tried hard not to cry.*After dinner we read a few stories and played a gut-busting round of 'telephone'. Caitlyn certainly brings a unique dimension to those kinds of games. (You know, "I spy with my little eye something green it's the grass!" And in the telephone game she would whisper her sentence in my ear, and then almost immediately say it out loud for everyone to hear. You just had to be there.)
*Today we ran a few last minute school errands and just enjoyed being home working on a few projects together.
*But I let the tears flow tonight as we read this book:
As we were reading I asked her if she was feeling brave or a little scared. She smiled back at me and stated, "Brave".Here's hoping that we're both brave on Monday.
P.S. I really am excited. Just a little sentimental about the milestone!
6 comments:
She will be fine. When we lived in Idaho, Alyssa had to catch the bus that early. It is a tough adjustment, but of all the people in the world, you will and can do it! Stay strong. Just wait until she goes off the Jr. High! That's scary.
oh Emilee I teared up when I read she told you she'll be there all by herself. All of a sudden they are big and don't want you around anymore... but you will both do so great!!!
I never thought I would be the mom crying on the first day of school, but last year I took my nephew to kindergarten and got teary! He wasn't even my son. I'm going to be a crying disaster when Vance goes to school! Good luck and I'm sure she'll do fine ;)
This IS a big milestone! I'm glad she's going to such a great school. Best of luck with the new schedule. Yikes, 6:55am!! We're sending Madisen our love!
Yikes! That is early! Carter starts next week. His bus comes at 8:30...totally do-able. But he doesn't get home until 4:00! That really makes it feel like he's gone ALL DAY! Good luck!
I know exactly how you feel, we were just there a few weeks ago. It's so fun and sad at the same time. She sure seems ready though and what a great school that sounds like!
I love reading your blog Em! Your girls are so fun and YOU are an amazing mom :)
6:58?? good luck with that one! We meet the bus at 7:30 and it's definitely an adjustment
Post a Comment