Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy, Happy Birthday Madisen Dear

My oldest girl turned 6 last Saturday!

We had a friend party on Friday afternoon (since mom didn't think she could do a Primary Program Practice and a birthday party in the same day)! Madisen is into drawing, coloring, creating, writing, painting, etc. these days so we went for an ART THEME.

We created our own invitation- I traced and Madisen colored the paint splotches.
When the guests arrived we put them to work decorating their own paint cans (party favors).
Then we had quick story time with a FABULOUS BOOK that we love about the joy and creativity you get to experience as an artist.

Next we played...
Each girl was given a different color to match up to the pallet. Brown definitely won!

I didn't get any pictures of the girls getting creative with the Fusion Beads, but they were loving it. The activity was fun and manageable because they are old enough to be independant.
Our last activity was to create some chalk drawings on the driveway. I traced the outline of their bodies and they dressed themselves. This was definitely the highlight. They figured out how to erase... this led to many hair do's and a variety of clothing and accessory choices.
They could have stayed out there much longer... but I had to bring them in for cake and presents.



The guests, starting at top left: Lily, Abby, Savannah, Emma, Mia, Alyssa.

On Saturday Madisen got to choose what we had for breakfast... coffee cake and then it was off to the church. Madiesen also got to attend birthday parties for 2 friends, both at Pump It Up ...phew she was ready for an afternoon snooze for sure!

That evening she chose our celebration dinner; Kraft macaroni and cheese (a real treat at our house) and broccoli with lemonade.
We gave Madisen a head with REAL hair so she can practice ponies, brushing, and braids with ease.

Grandma and Grandpa sent a Leapster Explorer with was definitely the hit of the day! Before she even had the wrapping paper all the way off Caitlyn said, "Madisen will you share with me until I get mine for my birthday." We have laughed all week about that!
Madisen has discovered the joy of reading, writing, and school in general. She also loves playing in the backyard, helping mom, entertaining (and bossing) the sisters, creating hair dos, and has expressed an interest in learning to play the piano.

7 comments:

Sara B said...

see- i told you, you would come up with better games and activities than me. Looks like so much fun and the cake turned out fantastic.

Unknown said...

What a fun party! I love the color palate cake and game...what a fun idea!

laura said...

So cute! I love the paint pallet cake. You must be a teacher or something to throw together such a great party!

Alison Carter said...

Love the art theme, what a cute cake! You throw such cute parties!

Ben & Mona said...

Loved the cake! Glad you took a picture so I could see the whole, uneaten masterpiece!

Mel said...

Such a cute party idea! I will have to borrow that one. Congratulations on #4. Did your mom tell you that I ran into her on the parkway the other day? #4...do you feel like it is time to be done? I sure did.

Tristen said...

Brilliant. all of it. the party idea, the games, the activities, the GIFT!!!, the cake, everything. I'm totally going to have to copy some of this, I'm loving it. Also congrats, I can't WAIT to hear about Baby #4!! I'm looking forward to Baby #4 but Ken's less than convinced that we can do it, so I'm totally watching for proof that it can be done!