Monday, February 1, 2010

Book Reviews

With the new year came my renewed commitment to read more regularly... that's part of of pondering, you know. I'm 2 for 2 on the RS lessons from the Gospel Principle manual- WAHOO!
About 2 weeks ago our INCREDIBLE teacher was teaching from chapter 2, "Our Heavenly Family". The first quote on p. 9 from President Joseph F. Smith reads, "Man, as a spirit, was begotten and born of heavenly parents, and reared to maturity in the eternal mansions of the Father, prior to coming upon the earth in temporal {physical} body." She pulled out the words 'REARED TO MATURITY' and asked what we thought that meant. A wonderful and insightful discussion about motherhood ensued. I had NEVER thought of the fact that we had, in fact, reached a level of maturity in the pre-mortal world. It makes perfect sense. But it put a whole new light on my role as a mother. I am to guide & mold these precious spirits into what they already were. I must rely on my Heavenly Father for assistance because he KNOWS who they were and who they can become. And my job is to love them into choosing the right. I feel so honored and a little overwhelmed to have this responsibility. Thank goodness for prayer and the Holy Ghost!

In the January 2010 Ensign I really enjoyed this article by Elder Holland. I loved this line, "The past is to be learned from but not lived in." A great reminder not to dwell on what might/could have been. Instead we must move forward & remember that the best is yet to be! I also enjoyed the beautiful reminder to forgive and forget.

A few years ago someone mentioned "The Parenting Breakthrough" by Merrilee Brown Boyack, to me. I put it on my mental "Books To Read" list and there it stayed until a few weeks ago. And now I'm wondering why I waited so long?! This is EXACTLY what I needed right now. It's not a book about discipline or behavior, it's about teaching your children to work, to be independent, self-reliant, and to feel like they belong to your wonderful family! She talks about having a plan as you raise your family. You know, moving beyond keeping them clean, safe, & fed. I could quote the entire book- because I think it's that fabulous-, but instead I'll just say GET IT and READ IT! You won't be sorry!

And lastly, this it the book our book club discussed in January. Fantastic! Fascinating! It produced an hour and a half, on-topic conversation about the content!! Of course I didn't agree with every point, but there were some points that got me thinking. There was a lot about birthdays/dates and how that correlates to your success in life... among other factors, of course. Definitely a book worth adding to your "To Read" list.

5 comments:

Julie said...

You've inspired me to read more. I have fallen off the wagon and can't seem to find them time. I know it's there I just need to rethink how I use it. I LOVE LOVE that talk by Elder Holland, I read it a few weeks ago and it was JUST what I needed. And those quotes you posted were some of my faves. I've had The Parenting Breakthrough on my To Read list for quite a while now also, now just need to read it. Keep up the reviews.

Dave and Terry said...

I love that you are getting some good reading in.

The Scherbel Family said...

I love Malcom Gladwell! I've read Tipping Point and I own Blink. i didn't realize he had a new book out. I'll have to grab it at the library today. If you liked Outliers you should read his other stuff.

Kurt, Amy and kids! said...

I love good books! Our book club read Outliers and we discussed it last night. So so interesting! I love telling my piano students about the "magic 10,000 hours of practice". I don't know if they love it!

janet said...

I LOVE, love Parenting Breakthrough. It's been my child raising bible for the past couple of years..