Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ahh, Ketchup


We've been working on increasing our food storage (despite the fact we have ABSOLUTELY NO STORAGE SPACE in our home, ...so please don't mind our new "30 yr" furniture, j/k) & figuring out how much we need of certain items. The other day I realized that if we don't have ketchup it doesn't matter what we store. Our girls think ketchup is a survival necessity, like water, and without it they WILL die. At our house ketchup is a MUST! Madisen likes it on everything (including cantaloupe, yuk!) & consequently Caitlyn does, too (go figure).

There are the obvious things like: * scrambled eggs * chicken (no matter how well seasoned I've cooked it) * hamburger * hot dogs * potatoes/fries

And the not so obvious: * rice * carrots- cooked or raw * tuna patties (a family recipe)* and again cantaloupe!

Nonetheless, we are now reassessing the TRUE necessities for food storage to ensure they are in good supply and readily available when the "big one" comes.

6 comments:

Emily B said...

Rice, carrots, tune patties, and cantalope?! That does sound pretty gross. At least they will eat those things, though, even if it is with ketchup.

The Smith Family said...

That's great. My brother was like that. Needed ketchup on everything. Not sure about the cantalope..that's a new one :)

PS..I'm adding you to my blog :)

Hibbard Family said...

That is so distgusting! I personally take ketsup on only a few items however my husband will eat it on everything, chicken included - yuk! So like you, my food storage consists of plenty of ketsup to get us through whatever hard times to come..... glad to see we're not the only ones with 6 bottles in the pantry :)

janet said...

I believe i was the queen of ketchup when I was 2 and 3. Hopefully they will grow out of it!

Liz said...

My kids are the same way about ketchup. My nieces put it on their ham and turkey sandwiches. I thought that was weird, but cantaloupe takes it.

vickersfam said...

Hopefully you'll be able to have any kind of food in an emergency and just cover it with ketchup. They'll never know the difference, right?!